Brazil wants to stop giving teen shots after one death, but the health ministry says there is no proof

BRASILLA: The Brazilian federal government wants to discontinue COVID-19 immunizations for most teenagers, citing an unsolved death and adverse effects after 3.5 million teenagers are already vaccinated, while numerous state governments have sworn to continue.

At a press conference, Health Minister Marcelo Queiroga chastised states and localities for immunizing 12- to 17-year-olds without health problems who were at danger of severe COVID-19, which had been meant to begin on Wednesday, he added.

Healthy adolescents who have previously had one vaccination should not receive another, according to Queiroga, thus halting universal vaccines for teenagers.

Anvisa, the federal health agency, stated in a statement that there was “no evidence to back up or urge revisions” to the approval of Pfizer vaccines for children aged 12 to 17.

Queiroga didn’t give a reason for the halt, but stated there were 1,545 abnormalities reported, with 93 percent of them occurring in those who received COVID-19 doses other than Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine, which is Brazil’s sole vaccination approved for minors. He also stated that one death had been reported in the city of Sao Bernardo do Campo, which is located just outside of the state capital of Sao Paulo.

In a statement, Anvisa said it was investigating the death of a 16-year-old who received the first dose earlier in the month of September.

“At this time, that there’s no clear causal association between this instance and vaccine administration,” it stated.

The country’s most populated state, Sao Paulo, claims to have vaccinated approximately 2.5 million people under the age of 18. On social media, Governor Joao Doria stated that Sao Paulo would continue to vaccinate teenagers. Although clinical studies has shown immunizations to be successful in preventing sickness, Queiroga said the evidence about their efficacy for healthy teenagers was not yet definite.

Vaccinations have been made available to youngsters in Israel, United States and a few European countries. After senior medical advisers believed adolescents would benefit from less disruption to their schoolwork, England decided on Monday that all 12- to 15-year-olds will be provided a shot.

It’s unclear whether Queiroga’s remarks will be taken seriously. The majority of states, according to Carlos Lula, president of the association of state health secretaries, have no plans to stop immunizations for this age range.

Leave a Reply