NEW DELHI: The 13th round of talks between Indian and Chinese military commanders over the standoff in Ladakh collapsed on Sunday, the Indian Army said, adding that the Chinese side was not “agreeable” and “could not provide any forward looking proposals”.
“During the meeting, the Indian side made constructive suggestions for resolving the remaining areas but the Chinese side was not agreeable and also could not provide any forward looking proposals. The meeting thus did not result in resolution of the remaining areas,” an army statement said.
“The two sides have agreed to maintain communications and also to maintain stability on the ground. It is our expectation that the Chinese side will take into account the overall perspective of bilateral relations and will work towards early resolution of the remaining issues while fully abiding by bilateral agreements and protocols,” it added.
They also said that during the 13th round of India-China Corps Commanders meeting on Sunday, discussions between the two sides focused on resolution of the remaining issues along LAC in Eastern Ladakh.
The Indian delegation at Sunday’s talks was led by Lt Gen PGK Menon, the Commander of the Leh-based 14 corps. The talks, which started at 10:30 AM and ended at 7 PM, took place over two months after the last round of negotiations that resulted in the disengagement of troops from Gogra.
The two sides agreed to maintain communications and also to maintain stability on the ground.
Tensions have been high between the nuclear armed neighbours following a deadly border battle in June last year in the strategically important Galwan river valley in Ladakh near Tibet.
The world’s two most populous countries have currently around 50,000 to 60,000 troops along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) in the sensitive sector.